Monday, November 13, 2006

Discogram = Human Pincushion: A New Experience

So I had my discogram October 6th to understand my problem and discovered the joys of Versed. Luckily I don't remember a thing and judging from all of the needle holes in my back I'm greatful. According to Lisa, the doctor told her I was talking away all the way through ("a real trooper"). Yeah I must have been a real trooper to not remember any of this. My back looks like I have several dozen holes in it. The good news is that it's really apparent now where my pain is coming from.

Just as a reminder - the discogram places needles into the discs at all levels (at least the lumbar levels in my case) and injects dye into each of them consecutively in order to confirm which disc is causing the pain. Sounds relatively straight forward, until you realize that the discs in your back are in front of everything else in the spinal column, meaning that they have to be accessed either from the front or the side. Needless to say, the doctor apparently went in from the side since there were all kinds of organs and stuff in the way from the front. Judging from the needle marks on my side I'm guessing that Dr. used needles that were about 6 inches long -ouch!!!

Update: Discovered the Dr. used 12"/ 18 gauge needles, just for kicks and giggles.
Results: The Discogram reveals that I have spondylolysthesis and Pars Defect as a result of spondylolysthesis

Check out Bad Zeut in the center.

No comments: